This Update is being offered on multiple dates and times. At bottom of page, select the date/time that best fits your schedule.
Our Social Security system provides retirement, disability, and survivor
benefits to millions of Americans. The long-term future of Social Security
and Medicare is uncertain, triggering concerns for many workers who are
now paying into the system. Attend this course to learn what matters,
cover real-world situations and use the tools provided to advise your
clients to make optimal decisions when it comes to Social Security and
What Medicare will and will not do
Managing Medicare gaps
Analyzing the wide menu of Social Security benefits
Social Security benefits for workers and families: retirement, survivor, disability, and death benefit
Tax impact of social security premiums and benefits
Impact of the new 3.8% Medicare surtax on investment income
When you complete this course you will be able to:
- Describe the role of the Social Security Administration and how FICA
applies to the funding of Social Security, and Medicare benefits.
- Identify the benefit eligibility issues.
- Determine Social Security benefits and the implications retirement
age has on those benefits.
- Identify what types of Social Security survivor benefits are available.
- Describe the disability income benefits and the multiple factors that
can impact those benefits.
- Identify coverages and costs associated with Medicare and what it
does not cover.
Field of Study: Taxes
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of Social Security and Medicare
Important Information on Your CPE Credit